Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

  • Walking down the street and buying a fresh guava (or six) for lunch
  • Wearing flip flops every day being normal
  • Modesty everywhere I look
  • Looking out the window at the program center and seeing a papaya tree just chillin
  • Doing my hw in the sunlight of the back patio of the program center
  • Paying $1 for a 20 minute rickshaw (taxi) ride to/from school every day
  • Noticing the number of stares decrease as people get used to my/our presence in the area
  • Crossing the street by putting my hand out to make the cars stop
  • Eating a large lunch (including a drink/milkshake) for 50 rupees (about $1)
  • Walking to school every morning in late autumn morning temperatures
  • Knowing the city well enough to be able to tell the rickshaw drivers where to turn (so they can’t rip me off!)
  • Waking up every morning and realizing how lucky I am to be living half way across the world. 

1 comment: